Northside's School of Ministry (SOM) is an inexpensive, one-year program that equips college age and adults to become effective Christian leaders in any field where God might call them to serve. The program provides a solid Bible education, trains in practical ministry, equips for leadership, and provides the opportunity for hands-on training with specialized Northside ministries.
Students will take two 1.5 hour classes per week on Thursday afternoon/evenings during the school year: one Bible class and one practical ministry/leadership development class. In addition, students will complete a practicum of 100 hours of ministry service to gain valuable hands-on ministry experience.
Here are the basics:
- Attend two 1.5 hr classes each Thursday taught by Northside pastors and qualified guest instructors.
- Students will have weekly homework/reading assignments and come prepared to discuss in class.
- Students will serve 100 hours of ministry service to receive valuable hands-on ministry experience.
- Students who complete the program (classes + practicum) receive up to $450* voucher to participate in a Northside short-term mission trip. (*based on attendance)
Practical Ministry/Leadership Development - Thursdays, 4:30-5:45pm
First Semester: Practical Ministry
- Receive an overall understanding of various ministries and ministry career options
- Discover God’s plan for this world and His will for your life
- Discover your unique spiritual gifts, God-given talents, and personality with assessment tools to determine the best career path and ministry for you
- Learn spiritual disciplines for a healthy spiritual life
Second Semester: Leadership Development
- Develop the characteristics and qualities of an effective and godly leader
- Learn how to be an emotionally healthy leader
- Learn from various pastors & Christian leaders
- Learn how to impact, influence, and motivate others
- Learn how to lead through change, conflict, and failure
- Learn how to build, lead, and keep a team
- Learn how to recruit, train, and work with volunteers
- Complete a leadership project to experience church/Christian leadership
Bible Class - Thursdays, 6-7:30pm
- Intro to the Bible
- Overview of the Old Testament
- History of Israel
- Overview of the New Testament
- Life of Christ
- Church and Christian History